1. WHAT WERE YOUR INITIAL ASPIRATIONS WHEN STARTING OUT ON THIS CAREER PATH?
It was very simple; I just wanted to work with interesting people on cool projects. I went to study in Paris in 1998 because I thought the magazines Self Service and Purple were incredible and because I was fascinated with the American designers Jeremy Scott and Andre Walker—there was all this radical creativity happening there and I wanted to be a part of it.
2. WHAT DO YOU ENJOY MOST- YOUR WRITING, STYLING, WARDROBE DESIGNING OR CONSULTING?
I really enjoy all aspects of my job—it all keeps me thinking thus going, and I am always trying to do and learn new things, like right nowI am studying crystals to start making jewelry again (as a hobby in Paris I use to make jewelry under the name Chess Black and it was sold at Surface To Air).
3. WHAT HAS BEEN ONE OF THE COOLEST PROJECTS TO DATE THAT YOU HAVE BEEN A PART OF?
Gosh, honestly, I can not just pin point one project. I am very lucky to work with lots of amazing people on a wide range of projects. I interned at Jeremy Scott over 10 years ago in Paris and now I style his shows, which is beautiful for me because it is like working with family. Olivier Zahm from Purple Fashion published my f irst fashion spread shot by Camille Vivier and since then he has become an amazing friend, who I still love to collaborate for. And then there are all the genius musicians I have gotten to work with: Sleigh Bells, Koudlam, Debbie Harry, Rihanna, Something A La Mode, Uffie, Kim Gordon.
4. DESPITE CULTIVATING YOUR TALENTS IN PARIS, YOU RETURNED TO NEW YORK TO CONTINUE YOUR JOURNEY. WHAT IS IT ABOUT NEW YORK THAT YOU LOVE THE MOST?
Home is where the heart is. I was born in Queens and raised between Jersey City and Manhattan.
5. WHAT WAS THE VERY FIRST ARTICLE YOU PUBLISHED AND IN WHICH PUBLICATION?
I wrote interviews for Self Service in 1999…OMG it feels like lifetimes ago.
6. WHAT DETERMINES YOUR MANTRA WHEN IT COMES TO FASHION- DO YOU DRESS THE WAY YOU FEEL OR BY WHAT THE TREND AT THE TIME STIPULATES?
I believe in having fun with fashion, which means not following any rules or trends.
QUICK RANDOM ONES
FAVORITE ITEM OF CLOTHING OR DESIGNER?
Anything in my closet from Christian Lacroix,Jeremy Scott, Comme des Garcons, Zac Posen and Obesity & Speed, as well as my 20 pairs of Kill City jeans.
BEST BAR IN MANHATTAN?
Bemelmans Bar in the Carlyle Hotel—the atmosphere is divine.
Angel by Thierry Mugler mixed with Kiehl’s Musk.
MOST ROMANTIC THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU IN NYC?
When I was 19, I went on a date with a boy who drove me all around downtown on the handlebars of his bike. My heart melted.
BEST LIVE MUSIC ACT YOU’VE EVER SEEN?
My brother took me to see the Grateful Dead when I was 10 years old and the whole experience blew my mind.
FAVORITE MODEL OF THE MOMENT?
I never have one favorite model—I love all those crazy bodied super human women, as long as they look healthy.