1. HOW DID YOU INITIALLY BECOME ENTRANCED BY MAKE-UP AND ITS ABILITY TO TRANSFORM AND ENHANCE THE APPEARANCE OF AN INDIVIDUAL?
My first memories about make-up were during my high school years, or even earlier really…I would look at women on the street or at school, notice their make-up and think of howI would do it differently! I even remember my gym teacher wore the most perfect shiny liquid eye liner everyday—it was very ‘60s. So instead of college, I gave 2 years at beauty school in Bologna a try (to the disbelief of my parents and friends). My teacher was wonderful and taught us the joy of making others feel prettier.During that time, I saw a close up photo of Irving Penn inItalian Vogue. I wrote to the magazine and asked them, which was the best make-up school in Italy? They answered: BCM. I left for Milan, arrived at BCM and within a week I knew I would do this for the rest of my life.
2. WHO IS YOUR MOST FAVORITE PHOTOGRAPHER TO WORK WITH?
Mr. Penn was my favorite of all. I also love Lindberg, Knight, Testino, Ines and Vinoodh, but I could go on and on…
3. HOW DID IT COME ABOUT THAT YOU BEGAN TO DEVELOP MAKEUP LINES FOR SUCH IMPRESSIVE LABELS AS EMPORIO ARMANI AND SHISEIDO?
Art director Fabien Baron introduced me to Giorgio Armani. It was a great learning experience. Shiseido fell in love with the makeup I did in British Vogue with photographer Raymond Meier. We met in Paris, they interviewed me and I was hired. Working with Shiseido for 5 years was fantastic. I have a PR contract with Chanel, 4 years now—it’s a fabulous company! I am blessed…
4. IS YOUR HOME IN THE HAMPTONS A DELICIOUS ESCAPE FROM THE HUSTLE AND BUSTLE OF THE CITY? IT IS IMPORTANT TO HAVE A BALANCE OF WORK AND PLAY IN YOUR LIFE?
It is for me.
5. MAKEUP ARTISTRY IS FULL OF MASTERFUL SKILL AND TRADE SECRETS. ARE THERE ANY FOOL PROOF MAKEUP TIPS YOU CAN SHARE WITH US?
Take good care of your skin, teeth, hair. Wash your brushes weekly and throw away old products. When you find something you love, buy two (nowadays they discontinue quickly). And easy on the base!
6. DID YOU BELIEVE, BACK WHEN YOU WERE STARTING OUT YOUR JOURNEY AS A MAKEUP ARTIST FINE TUNING YOUR TECHNIQUE AT THE RENOWNED BEAUTY CENTRE IN MILANO, THAT YOUR CAREER WOULD BE SUCH A SUCCESS?
During my f irst week at BCM, my teacher Stefano Anselmo, saw me at work and said,“What a hand!” I had few of these ‘signs’ or moments in the beginning of my career that made me feel like I had what it takes to succeed.
QUICK RANDOM ONES
NUMBER ONE FOUNDATION TO USE?
Teint Innocence by Chanel.
THE MOST MEMORABLE NIGHT YOU EVER ENJOYED IN NEW YORK WAS…?
Dancing at Nell’s till 5am with my three best girlfriends and deciding at sunrise to join them to the airport for a 3 day trip to Bahamas!
TIMELESS BEAUTY STAPLE YOU COULD NOT LIVE WITHOUT:
I could not live without my white rice face powder.
FIRST CELEBRITY CRUSH?
FAVORITE MAKEUP IN FILM?
I love how David Lynch sees make-up, like in Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive. His relationship to Isabella Rossellini must have had some influence. However, period or special effects make-up is less moving to me somehow.