New York Fashion Week was incredible this year! With major make-up sponsor, Maybelline New York working their magic yet again, it was a fun yet hectic week, choc full of runway shows, presentations, parties and openings galore! With Hollywood actresses and musicians, to designers and socialites, the Maybelline Insiders – Amanda Fordyce and Lara Antonelli – had you covered. From backstage, to who was sitting in the front row, we were there at the fashionable pulse of New York to bring you all the inside info and keep you up-to-date with emerging trends and must have items.
These are the Top Ten for New York Fashion Week Spring/ Summer 2012.
1. Bloggers versus Writers – Rocking the trends and the front rows, bloggers were coming thick and fast to fashion week! Some were there just for the show of it – claiming to be bloggers but not even having websites (or a pen and paper), trying to steal the limelight from actual professional writers and journalists! Whilst there were other more accredited international and local bloggers and journalists which included, Nadia Sarwar (from Frou Frouu), Frances Davison (from Happy Because) and Peony Lim (from PeonyLim.Blogspot.com), alongside colourful Daily News Fashion Features Writer and Seoulcialite, David Yi, and the gorgeous Joanna Hillman, Senior Fashion Editor at American Harper’s Bazaar, sourcing the globe for must have looks and trends. Yet, ironically enough she believes people need to stay true to their own fashion personality and not hunt down trends that do not work for them. This is what she had to say walking out of the Carlos Miele show – “Don’t worry about ‘trends’……you can always can spot the fashion victim that’s wearing something that doesn’t work on them.”
2. Animal Print – From shoes, to bags, to dresses the animal instinct was taking over! The designers doing most of the leopard, snake skin, zebra and tiger prints were Michael Antonio, Max Azria and Christian Louboutin. Watch this MAJOR trend seep into the Australian market very soon!
3. Celebrities at Fashion Week – Rachel Zoe presenting her debut Spring collection was AMAZING, with Rodger Berman and Molly Sims; Kelly Osbourne, Johnny Weir and Nate Berkus at Chris Benz; Valentino at Diane Von Furstenberg; Kelly Osbourne, Johnny Weir and Nate Berkus at Chris Benz; Lorenzo Martone; Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen @ J.MENDEL; Carrie Preston & Rose McGowan at Ruffian; Beyonce @ Vera Wang, Melissa George & Russell Simmons at Tommy Hilfiger.
4. Cambridge Bag – The must have IT bag is without a doubt, the Cambridge neon satchel briefcase bag, which is selling out everywhere! We spotted so many peeps donning this bag, including Bradley Goreski.
5. Block Colours – The BIG, BOLD trend for spring/ summer is block colours. Loud pops of colour, as bright as possible and mixed together in all combinations. It is all about being bright, beautiful and bold – talk about standing out!
6. Prints – Think twisted, modernised florals and tribal prints. Bright and mixed with other prints as seen at Douglas Hannant, Dianne Von Furstenberg, Nicole Miller and Custo Barcelona.
7. Pleats – Another key trend was long (either knee, calf or ankle length) sheer organza or silk chiffon pleated skirts and dresses. Worn with towering heels or funky sandals, this was the look so many girls were sporting. And mixing up this trend with skirts that were short at the front and long at the back was another mini trend we saw coming through the doors of New York Fashion Week.
8. Sequins – Who doesn’t love a sequin?! Mixing sequins with a block colour or crisp white is a great way to balance the dazzle and wear this look during the day or night. Custo Barcelona, Herve Leger and Rachel Zoe exhibited the sequins look to perfection. Let yourself shine!
9. Nautica – Let’s not forget about the men either!! The Nautica rooftop show was a definite highlight and exhibited chic casual and regatta wear for men. And even if you are not all that into sailing, Nautica provided some fantastic blazers, trousers, boardies and even sensational accessories including sunnies, watches, belts and loafers. A handsome and well executed collection, that heralded summer days driving down the coast! LOVE!
10. Bling – Everyone was sporting some sort of show stopping bling. From large encrusted rings, to layers of bracelets or bedazzled heels – one off pieces were set to draw you in! Bling, and lots of it, was the way to go at this year’s fashion week.