1. WHAT DO YOU BOTH CONSIDER TO BE THE BIBLE OF ALL FASHION PUBLICATIONS?
In the words of Bob Dylan “The times they are a-changin”, so picking a favorite is far too limiting. We are focusing on internet based publications that offer democracy to those who design fashion and love fashion.
2. IS IT THE ART OF REINVENTION AND BREAKING DOWN ARCHETYPAL MOLDS THAT EXCITES YOU SO MUCH ABOUT FASHION AND THE REASON YOUR COLLECTIONS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED SO WELL?
Yes, the clash between avant garde and nostalgia has always been of interest to us. One cannot move forward and create without a firm grasp of the classical. Destabilization in a chic way is infinitely more disturbing to the establishment and this is the foundation of what is fundamentally Ruffian.
3. DO YOU FIND THAT PARTNERSHIPS AND COLLABORATIONS WITH OTHER CREATIVES IS AN ESSENTIAL PLATFORMFOR IDEAS TO BE TRANSFORMED INTO REALITY?
Partnerships and collaborations allow us to have a voice in various different genres of design. We are a lifestyle brand, not just fashion designers and look forward to continuing disseminating and spreading the Ruffian gospel in various tangible and intangible products.
4. WHAT WAS THE INSPIRATION FOR YOUR LATEST COLLECTION?
Our muse was a French girl from the seventh arron dissement in Paris taking her first trip to the moon. Our prints used a range of source material from ancient Greco-Roman constellation etchings to Hubble Spacecraft images from NASA.
5. WHAT IS IT ABOUT KNOWLEDGE OF HISTORY AND OF CULTURAL FASHION TRENDS PAST THAT AIDS IN YOUR DESIGN PROCESS?
As Ruffians, we are always inspired by the Zeitgeist of our time. A firm grasp of the history, literature, art, and film, in addition to an incurable desire to research both contemporary and historical imagery, has always been the force that carves our collections.
6. HOW DO YOU BOTH REACT TO BEING TOUTED AS A ‘CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED CULT NEW YORK LABEL’?
A Ruffian is “cult” by its nature. We have an innate desire to change the way things are done. Disruption by Design is one of our mantras. It’s not always the most well traveled path, but it offers infinitely more excitement and discovery.
7. WHAT DEFINES THE PERFECT NEW YORK WOMAN IN THE 21ST CENTURY, ACCORDING TO RUFFIAN?
A woman who is passionate, fearless in self expression, has challenging sexy friends and has an intuitive understanding of luxury.
QUICK RANDOM ONES
WHAT ALBUM IS DOING THE ROUNDS IN YOUR CAR/IPOD/STEREO?
Billy Idol Greatest Hits
MOST PRIZED POSSESSION?
Magnavox 1965 White Leather Portable Record Player.
FAVORITE BUILDING OR STRUCTURE IN NEW YORK?
The Washington Square Park Arc de Triomphe.
MOST ADVENTUROUS THING TO DO IN NEW YORK?
Have a naked karaoke party with your sexiest friends.
Coming to a store near you soon… But for now Original Eau De Cologne 4711.