1. You founded TheTrendSpotter with your husband Colin back in 2011. What initially inspired you both to start this venture?
We were inspired by the constantly evolving fashion industry and technology, art in all its forms and passionate driven individuals that follow their bliss. We wanted to share what we loved with the world and dreamed that one day it’ll be our full time job. Dreams really do come true if you believe in them and work hard towards them.
2. What were your respective backgrounds before you co-founded TheTrendSpotter?
Colin has an IT background and I was a footwear graphic designer and fashion trends researcher. We both worked in the fashion industry for over 10 years before starting TheTrendSpotter.
3. As couples go, you are a force to be reckoned with – the ultimate model/photographer relationship. What is it like working with your other half?
We have a really good balance, respect and understanding for each other. We often take over each others tasks and teach each other different skills. Both Colin and I find ourselves in a role of a stylist, photographer, manager, researcher, editor, model, and more.
The only challenge is to find time to switch off and not talk about work, we often wake up and go to sleep talking about emails and article ideas or meetings we have got to attend.
4. You are the original street style bloggers, starting TheTrendSpotter back when social media was just ramping up and the use of Instagram had just begun, and was nowhere near as popular as it is today. What is your take on the surge of ‘bloggers’ in the fashion industry today?
There is so much excitement and hype about blogging nowadays, we love that! There is also a greater variety of blogs and other online outlets out there, all kinds of inspiration is shared and obtained easily online. Social media helps us to instantly share and receive, technology is developing so quickly shaping our everyday life.
5. How has technology advances aided your business to thrive, do you think?
Everything we do involves technology, it is important to keep on top of the latest advances. We are constantly learning about better ways to gather and share information online. Technology really speeds up every process but it also means that we have to keep up with it. It also helps us to learn more about our followers, to connect with them and to understand them better, the future of blogging lies in the future of technology.
6. After years of attending fashion weeks and events around the world, which stands out as a career highlight for you?
There are a lot of career highlights, for me personally, some of the most fulfilling moments were when I met inspirational people whose work I have always admired. I am grateful for many incredible opportunities that we had. We worked with some of the biggest Australian and international labels, all fashion events in Melbourne and Sydney, attended fashion weeks all over the world and were featured in numerous top fashion magazines worldwide.
7. Both you and Colin were the faces of Chandon’s latest campaign #livelifeunplanned. What do you think is the greatest benefit to living a life that is full of change and challenge?
Change is inevitable, if you embrace it and make the most of every moment, you will find yourself building the future you have always wanted. Challenges are lessons, they help us learn and better ourselves. Every challenge is an opportunity to grow.
8. Is there a current fashion trend you love, and one you loath?
I am loving the off-shoulder tops, I wear one almost every day (even in winter under my coat) and I just can’t get enough of them. “Pyjama dressing” is also an interesting fashion trend that I have not yet attempted to try myself. Active wear is on the rise and it is a popular street style trend in Australia. I personally never leave my house wearing tight yoga pants, I wear jeans over them even when I am actually on my way to the yoga class.
9. What do you love most about your job?
I love that I am doing what I love. I love the freedom to create my own destiny with my hubby.
10. What is next for TheTrendSpotter.net?
We are working with some of Melbourne’s biggest retailers on a number of exciting projects, attending a unique event at MSFW and heading up to New York for NYFW. We also have some very exciting plans for Spring Racing Carnival, you are just gonna have to wait and see.😉
QUICK RANDOM ONES:
– First celebrity crush?
Kevin Richardson from Backstreet Boys (I have to say, he used to look like Colin a bit, didn’t he? Clearly, my type!).
– Most prized possession?
The things I can’t buy.
– Favourite item of clothing in your wardrobe?
High-waisted jeans (navy mom jeans and black skinny jeans), also my leather jacket (I wear it every single day).
– What is your favourite accessory?
Bags and shoes, I am obsessed about my current collection where every items gets to shine.
– Favourite place to holiday?
Love exploring new parts of the world, somewhere where I have not yet been would be amazing! Otherwise, I just can’t get enough of Italy, France and NYC.
– Best spot for lunch in Melbourne?
I am a Prahran/Windsor girl, my favourite places for lunch are Mr Mister, Ladro (Friday-Sunday), Fonda, Hawker Hall, Babble, Oscar Cooper.
– If you could swap jobs with someone for the day, who would it be?
I would swap jobs with someone from a completely different walk of life, in a challenging environment in the rural area. The experience and knowledge I will obtain will be priceless.
– Favourite outdoor shooting location in the world?
We enjoyed shooting in Tuscany, Isle of Pines in New Caledonia, Positano, Paris, Florence and New York for city views.